A healthy diet and regular physical activity are the two pillars for good health and preventing most common chronic diseases. More specifically, a balanced intake of nutrients, and adjusted to the individual needs, is essential for healthier and longer life.
The nutritional program conducted at UPMC Institute for Health includes:
- A nutritional assessment (history and data collection, anthropometric and bioelectrical impedance analysis).
- A personalized diet to:
- Reach optimal body weight in underweight, overweight, and obese individuals;
- Prevent or better manage conditions such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension, dyslipidemia, food allergies, and intolerances;
- Manage particular physiological conditions (e.g., pregnancy, breast-feeding, and menopause);
- Prevent tumors;
- Educate on healthy eating.